Jun 20, 2024  
2020-2021 Catalog [Archived] 
2020-2021 Catalog [Archived] [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Art History, AA-T

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees and Certificates by Division

Fine Arts Division

The art program provides students with a comprehensive foundation in the history, theory, and practice of art. Each student acquires observational, compositional, technical, interpretative, and expressive competency through participation in an extensive range of studio art courses. Exposure to a culturally diverse art history curriculum prepares each student to analyze, assess, and discuss works of art from a variety of historical and style periods. Proficiencies are demonstrated through class projects, critiques, research papers, essays, and objective tests. Program assessment is measured by portfolios, juried and public exhibitions, program completion, transferability, and periodic program reviews. Students will be prepared to transfer to a CSU and major in art history, and pursue a variety of art-related careers.

The Associate of Arts for Transfer (AA-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing the AA-T are given priority consideration for admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. In order to earn an AA-T degree, students must complete:

  1. Completion of 60 semester units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University.
  2. The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education - Breadth Requirements.
  3. A minimum of 18 semester units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
  4. Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
  5. A grade of “C” or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.

Students who have completed the AA-T will have a strong academic foundation in the field and will be prepared for upper division baccalaureate study at the university. The coursework will satisfy most of the lower-division requirements at many institutions within the California State University system. Students transferring to a UC, private, or out-of-state university should consult with an El Camino College counselor when planning to complete the degree since transfer requirements may be slightly different than those required for the AA-T.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees and Certificates by Division