Mathematical Sciences Division
The mathematics program provides the student with sufficient depth to support a lifelong interest in mathematics, and is suitable for the student who plans to transfer in mathematics. The core of the major is the calculus sequence, in which the student will acquire a conceptual understanding of the principles of differential and integral calculus for functions of one and several variables, as well as the ability to apply calculus techniques in a variety of applications. One course in Differential Equations with Linear Algebra is required, as well as one additional course to provide the student with greater breadth in mathematics. Competency will be assessed by evaluating the student’s ability to solve a wide range of calculus and other mathematical problems.
The Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing the AS-T degree are given priority consideration for admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. In order to earn an AS-T degree, students must complete:
- Completion of 60 semester units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University.
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education - Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- A grade of “C” or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.
Students who have completed the AS-T degree will have a strong academic foundation in the field and will be prepared for upper division baccalaureate study at the university. The coursework will satisfy most of the lower- division requirements at many institutions within the California State University system. Students transferring to a UC, private, or out-of-state university should consult with an El Camino College counselor when planning to complete the degree since transfer requirements may be slightly different than those required for the AS-T degree.