Jul 13, 2024  
2019-2020 Catalog [Archived] 
2019-2020 Catalog [Archived] [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Geology, AS-T

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees and Certificates

Natural Sciences Division

The geology program is designed to provide students the opportunity to obtain a transfer degree upon successful completion of the geology major requirements. The student will acquire the ability to apply the theory of plate tectonics, knowledge of geologic hazards, and principles of geologic time to natural phenomena. Laboratories complement the lecture material providing the student with a foundation in observational and interpretive techniques. Competencies are assessed by examining the student’s ability to make careful observations of earth materials and processes, explain observations, predict future outcomes of earth processes, and successfully complete laboratory and field trip activities.

The Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing the AS-T are given priority consideration for admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. In order to earn an AS-T degree, students must complete:

  1. Completion of 60 semester units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University.
  2. The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education - Breadth Requirements.
  3. A minimum of 18 semester units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
  4. Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
  5. A grade of “C” or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.

Students who have completed the AS-T will have a strong academic foundation in the field and will be prepared for upper division baccalaureate study at the university. The coursework will satisfy most of the lower-division requirements at many institutions within the California State University system. Students transferring to a UC, private, or out-of-state university should consult with an El Camino College counselor when planning to complete the degree since transfer requirements may be slightly different than those required for the AS-T.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees and Certificates